July 20, 2024
All your news, One Platform!
0803 333 3333
info@inewszone.com
Search
Generic filters

Plateau Attacks Claim 195 Lives, Leaving Hundreds of Homes in Ruins

December 28, 2023

The Management Committee Chairman of Bokkos Local Government Area of Plateau State, yesterday, said 148 people were killed in the Christmas Eve attack in the council. This came as the death toll in the massacre in three local government areas of the state rose to 195. Of the number, 148 were killed in Bokkos Local Government Area, 19 in Mangu Local Government Area, and 27 in Barkin Ladi. 1,290 houses were burnt down in Bokkos council, one house was razed in Mangu LGA and that of Barkin Ladi was yet to be ascertained at press time. The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, condemned the massacre in Plateau by terrorists in coordinated attacks in three local government areas on Christmas Eve.

The party described as heart-rending, the chilling reports of how defenceless Nigerians were gruesomely murdered and over 10,000 displaced by terrorists in Bokkos and Barkin Ladi areas of Plateau State, in unrestrained attacks which lasted till Monday morning.

Meanwhile, the Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar III has asked the government at all levels to live up to expectations in their duty of protecting the lives and properties of citizens.

However, Vice-President, Kashim Shettima has assured the survivors of the co-ordinated attacks that the Federal Government will not let the incident slide but will ensure that the perpetrators are brought to book.
Indeed, President Bola Tinubu approved activation of immediate humanitarian response and support to the victims of the Plateau massacre.

Also, a civil society organisation, Community Advancement and Humanitarian Enhancement Initiative, CSCHEI, has described as a stark reminder of the deep-seated security challenges that continue to plague the nation following Plateau massacre, which claimed over 150 lives and displaced scores.

The Management Committee Chairman of Bokkos LGA, Monday Kassa, who spoke, yesterday, said reports available to the council show that so far, 148 people died, 88 people are receiving treatments in different hospitals, 1,290 houses burnt, 25 communities were attacked.

He said, “These attacks are unprovoked and they were well coordinated by our assailants because they took place in all the 25 communities simultaneously.”

The Transition Committee Chairman of Mangu LGA, Markus Artu said, 19 persons were killed in the Lar’apya community in the Kerang District of Mangu. He added that the 19 were from the same family and a house was burnt in the community, adding that the incident happened on December 23.

In Barkin Ladi LGA, Rwang Tengwong, the National Publicity Secretary, of Berom Youth Moulders-Association, BYM, said villages attacked include Daruwat, Hurum, Hirpiya, Mai Yanga and Ntv, while 26 persons were killed.

He said, that in Daruwat, eight persons were killed; Hurum, one person; Hirpiya, two persons; Mai Yanga, 16 persons and Ntv, 10 persons.
According to him, “The number of houses burnt is yet to be ascertained because three of the villages were completely razed and there are no people there.”

PDP slams APC FG for ‘emboldening’ terrorists

In a statement by PDP National Publicity Secretary, Debo Ologunagba, the party took a swipe at the President Bola Tinubu-led All Progressives Congress, APC, administration over what it described as its laid-back and insensitive attitude towards issues of security.

This, the party said had emboldened terrorists and bandits to surge up deadly attacks and opened the way for the killing of no fewer than 5,000 Nigerians since President Tinubu took office on May 29, 2023.

Ologunagba said: “Our party berates President Tinubu for always resorting to lame presidential condemnation by his media aides without any corresponding definite steps to protect Nigerians and stop this constant carnage in our nation.

“President Tinubu has practically abdicated his constitutional role as President and Commander-in-Chief, which is principal to ensure the security of lives and property, thus abandoning Nigerians to terrorists, bandits and marauders.

“Nigerians will recall how President Tinubu in his nationwide broadcast of July 31, 2023, had no words of commitment for security despite the escalated killing of over 500 Nigerians and many more abducted in Plateau, Benue, Niger, Kaduna and other states of the federation at that time.

 

 

Credit: Daily Light

Share to:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

© Copyright 2021 inewszone Media
cross-circle