Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. Bandits have kidnapped 11 persons, including a Chief Imam, Aminu Garba, who was preparing to lead Juma’at congregational prayer at Gatawa village in Sabon Birni Local Government Area of Sokoto State. According to reports, the Imam was kidnapped alongside three others.
2. The younger sister of Katsina Deputy Speaker, Hon. Shehu Dalhatu Tafoki, yesterday, escaped from bandits’ den after 105 days in captivity. Confirming the development, the lawmaker said she escaped during a military onslaught on the enclave where she was kept.
3. Governor Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State has said the Southern part of the country must produce the next president in 2023. He said this while delivering the 45th convocation lecture of Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife, Osun State, on Saturday.
4. Former Governor of Sokoto State, Attahiru Dalhatu Bafarawa, has expressed disappointment over President Muhammadu Buhari’s failure to visit and condole with the people of the state over the burning of travellers by bandits. In an interview on Saturday, Bafarawa said Buhari had failed to address the growing insecurity and killings in Sokoto, Zamfara and Katsina States.
5. The Police Command in Kaduna State, says its operatives foiled bandits attack in Sabon Tasha in Chikun Local Government Area (LGA) of the state, in the early hours of Saturday, Dec. 11. The Command’s Public Relations Officer, ASP Mohammed Jalige, made the disclosure in a statement issued on Saturday in Kaduna.
6. Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has urged stakeholders to stave off another long strike by intervening in the refusal of the Federal to honour its agreement with the union. The leadership of the Ibadan zone of the union, led by its zonal coordinator, Professor Oyebamiji Oyegoke, said this at a press conference in Ilorin.
7. Former President, Olusegun Obasanjo, has commended the Director-General of International Institute for Tropical Agriculture (IITA), Dr Nteranya Sanginga, for his dedication to agriculture, food and nutrition security in Africa. Obasanjo gave the commendation during the chieftaincy conferment on Sanginga and his wife, Mrs Charlotte Sanginga, by the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, at his palace in Ile-Ife on Saturday.
8. The Chairman of Nigerian Union of Journalists, NUJ, Federal Capital Territory, FCT branch, Comrade Emmanuel Ogbeche has called on media practitioners to maintain integrity in their reportage. Ogbeche who was recently re-elected as Chairman of Abuja NUJ, made the call during the 10th anniversary of DAILY POST media in the nation’s capital.
9. Former President, Olusegun Obasanjo, has warned traditional rulers in Yoruba land against open endorsement of anyone seeking for political office, saying their role should end in offering prayers for whoever visits them to discuss politics. He also told the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, not to direct Yoruba people to support any aspirant for political position.
10. Bandits have killed a pastor of the Evangelical Church of Winning All, Nariya, Kaduna, Rev Dauda Bature, after collecting ransom from his wife. Bature was kidnapped on his farm in Rigasa, Igabi Local Government Area of the state on November 8 prior to his death.