The Oyo State Government has commenced the payment of compensation to property owners affected by the ongoing expansion and asphaltic reconstruction of the Ojoo–Akinyele Road corridor in Oyo State, as part of efforts to balance infrastructure renewal with residents’ welfare.
The Commissioner for Lands, Housing and Urban Development, Williams Akin-Funmilayo, disclosed this during an interactive session and compensation disbursement exercise for affected claimants whose properties were impacted by the expansion of the Ojoo Interchange–IITA–Moniya Junction–Akinyele Interchange corridor, including spurs leading to the New Oyo Expressway.
He said the administration of Governor Seyi Makinde remains committed to ensuring that development projects do not impose undue hardship on citizens, stressing that infrastructure expansion is designed to strengthen the state’s economy and position it as a regional business hub.
“No development should bring negative consequences to the members of the public,” he said, adding that ongoing road expansion projects are aimed at “expanding the economy of the state and to make it a business hub among other states.”
Akin-Funmilayo explained that the completed project is expected to significantly enhance agricultural and commercial activities in the area, particularly with the planned inland dry port, railway station, new town development, and the circular road project, which he said would collectively improve logistics efficiency and attract investors.
He noted that the reforms would allow businesses to clear goods more easily through the dry port, describing it as a major catalyst for economic growth in the South-West region.
The commissioner added that Governor Makinde had directed the ministry to ensure that documentation and processing of compensation claims are handled without delay.
He further disclosed that a standing committee on verification of affected property owners had been established to streamline the compensation process. The committee, chaired by the Executive Assistant on Security to the Governor, retired CP Sunday Babatunde Odukoya, is responsible for clearing claims before payments are made.
According to him, a total of 65 property owners were identified in the first phase of the exercise, out of which 22 have been cleared and have already received compensation, while others are still undergoing verification.
Akin-Funmilayo also cautioned against corruption in the process, urging claimants not to offer bribes or inducements to officials. He warned that any ministry staff found soliciting money should be reported directly to his office.
He appealed for continued cooperation from land and property owners in the affected corridor, noting that the ongoing projects are in the long-term interest of residents and the state’s economic transformation.
Speaking on behalf of the beneficiaries, Mr. Kayode Adebayo and Mrs. Oseni Alimot Tolulope expressed appreciation to the state government for the intervention, describing the compensation as unexpected but welcome.
They commended the Makinde administration for its approach to handling the displacement impact of the road expansion project.
Also present at the session were the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, Dr. Hakim Ademola Audu, directors, and other senior officials.





